For years I’ve been awful at celebrating the birthdays of my friends. The special day of someone I love would sneak up on me and then it would pass. I would kick myself for missing it, but do nothing to actually improve or make changes. This past year I’ve done a series of interviews with women who are good at birthdays, and I’ve come up with a PLAN!!!
First Create a Plan
- Write down all the birthdays I want to celebrate at the beginning of the year
- Write the name on the day
- Plan what you want to do for that person ahead
- Write down that thing as a to-do item the week before
- Buy a bunch of cards (you will be proud to send) ahead of time and keep them in your desk
- Buy a couple gift cards to coffee shops as emergency plans incase a birthday sneaks up on you.
Ideas to Get you Started
- Take her out for coffee or lunch
- Card with a note (anything more than just signing your name)
- Hand make your card
- Set an alarm to send a text right away.
- You could email a Starbucks card for her birthday coffee first thing in the morning.
- Offer to watch her kids for the morning
- Buy flowers and chocolate and drop it off on the day!
- Use Amazon with free shipping to send gifts to friends far away! You can send a personal card separately or just include a note in the section Amazon allows for.
- Homemade Mason jar soups or cookies.
- People tend to like to pick the things they keep forever. (this is the part I always got hung up on). So my plan is to buy consumables!
- Coffee and homemade marshmallows (you can buy those locally)Loose Leaf Tea
- Pampering package (face masks, foot scrub, chapstick) I’ve found some of my new favorite products this way.
- Native plants to put in the garden
- Art Materials (I love Tombow markers, sketch paper, water color pencils, my favorite pens)
- Baked Goods
- Chocolate bombs
Friends are so preciousand when we become adults we so often forget to celebrate those people we love. I hope this helps you like it did me to remember the birthdays you want to celebrate, and joyfully give!