Remembering God’s Faithfulness
Remembering God’s faithfulness three years ago as we had our hardest season was the only thing that got me through. At the time I couldn’t put a finger on why or how, but somehow I had peace.
In about 4 months of time
- Our a/c went out depleting our savings.
- An autumn storm knocked a huge oak into our dining room.
- Two weeks after that our car quit for good.
- The next month I was diagnosed with secondary infertility (we had been trying for a year).
- I was told at that appointment that we were lucky we hadn’t gotten pregnant, because with my thyroid levels we would lose any baby we had.
- Two weeks after that we found out we were pregnant. I was terrified but hopeful.
- Not long after we lost the baby.
- Less than a month later our home was broken into.
BUT GOD was faithful. Our family and church surrounded us. Songs reminded us of His goodness. Verses memorized came to mind in the moments we needed it. 2 Cor 4:8 “We are cracked and chipped from our afflictions… but we are not crushed by them!”
Raise an Ebenezer
Have you heard the song “Come Thou Fount”? In it, there’s the line “Here I raise my Ebenezer”. for a long time, I didn’t know what that meant.
In 1 Samuel 7:12, Samuel makes a pile of stones to remind Israel of the supernatural battle God had won for them. Ebenezer means literally “Stone of Help.” From then on any time any citizen of Israel would walk past they would remember how God had helped them. It was a visual reminder of God’s faithfulness.
Each year as autumn rolls around it reminds me of what we went through and how we were held. Autumn is my Ebenezer and reminds me of God’s faithfulness. And as I’ve taken time to remember it’s helped me understand more clearly the foundation that my faith rested in at that time.
Foundations for remembering God’s faithfulness
When the moments felt hard or impossible I could look back at other hard times and remember how God had brought me through. I also had stories of faith I had read that showed how God was faithful even in trials larger than my own. If God was faithful then, he would be faithful now!
Stories of Others
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- Evidence Not Seen by Darlene Rose
- The Autobiography of George Muller
- This Beautiful Truth by Sarah Clarkson
- Surprised by Joy by CS Lewis
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- Joni an Unforgettable Story by Joni Erickson
- Gladys Aylward by Jannet and Geoff Benge
- Goodness of God
- Tell Your Heart to Beat Again
- Before the Morning
- By Your Side
- Even if
- I Am Not Alone
- Need You Now
- Though You Slay Me
- They Will
- Beautiful Things
- Good to Me
- Graves into Gardens
If you don’t have time to read a book, check out these episodes with amazing women who are telling their own stories of God’s faithfulness when fired, when single, when alone, and anxious! In them, you can know that the God that is their God is also yours. As he was there with them, He will be with you!
- Peace in the Darkest Days with Ann Swindell
- Joy in the Itchy Times of Life with Jamie Erickson
- Finding Encouragement in Suffering with Lindsey Carlson
- How Does it Look to Embrace Your Life with Elizabeth Woodson
- Overcoming Anxiety with the Power of God’s Promises with Sharon Miller
Are there any additional stories of God’s faithfulness that you want to tell, or things that helped carry or get you through?